Samara
Municipal Museum "Children's Art Gallery"
The Klodt's Mansion. Brothers Klodt

One of the most beautiful and outstanding old buildings of Samara city is located on Kuibysheva street (former Dvoryanskaya street). It was designed in eclectical romantic style by Samara architect Alexander Scherbachev (1858-1912) and constructed in 1898. This building is a unique combination of various shapes and architectural elements of different historical periods which interior and exterior harmony makes it one of the most unusual and attractive buildings of our city. Alexander Scherbachev managed to create a wonderful combination of old Russian building style and a tiny Medieval castle from old German fairy-tales. The building even got a name of German origin: the family of Ivan Te-Claudt (a merchant of the second guild) lived there.

 

In the end of 1896 Ivan Te-Claudt bought the land of N. Fedorov in the 2-d part of the city, in 72-d district on Dvoryanskaya street (it was between N. Dunaev’s house and the wooden house of the merchant P. Novokreschenov). On 26 February, 1897 he sent a petition to the Administrative Board of the City and asked for permission to build a stone house with some outbuildings. The petition was signed by the architect A. Scherbachev whose project is kept till present days.

 
prosh.gif (23136 bytes)
(copy from State archive of the Samara region)
 

As the result, by the merchant’s 50th anniversary in 1898 the new single-storey house with a basement and a mezzanine floor had been constructed. The mansion land was 570 sq. Russian fathoms: 15 fathoms long and 38 fathoms deep. The house was of 80 sq. fathoms, with the cellar of 15 sq. fathoms and the mezzanine floor of 20 sq. fathoms. There were some stone outbuildings in the yard: a cartwright, a storage house, a wash-house, a horse barn, a cowshed, a hen house, a barn and a wood-house, as well as an ice-cellar. There was also a garden of 310 sq. fathoms with a fountain inside the yard. The profit of the house was 552 rubles. All the property of Ivan Te-Claudt was estimated in 5000 rubles.

 

According to the documents, there was electric power, cold and hot running water and indoor sanitation in the house. There were ten rooms downstairs: a living room, a smoking room, a dining-room, a pantry, 2 studies, 2 bedrooms, a valet room and a kitchen. On the mezzanine floor there might have been a nursery and a playroom as well as a belvedere.

 
DomKladt.jpg (35104 bytes)
The Klodt's Mansion. The Card (1904).

According to the documents, there was electric power, cold and hot running water and indoor sanitation in the house. There were ten rooms downstairs: a living room, a smoking room, a dining-room, a pantry, 2 studies, 2 bedrooms, a valet room and a kitchen. On the mezzanine floor there might have been a nursery and a playroom as well as a belvedere.

terrasa.jpg (15732 bytes) K&LKlodt.jpg (15755 bytes) Leonid.jpg (12364 bytes)
(From right to left: I. A. Klodt, A. A. Stcherbatchiov, A. P. Stcherbatchiova, Y. Y. Klodt) (K. A. Klodt with his son Leonid) (Leonid Karlovitch Te-Klodt)
 

The chimney-piece was the main decoration of the dining-room. During the restoration process the specialists found out that the enameled shaped tiling was brought to Samara from Baltics. The workers of the estate-museum of Loshitsa in Minsk (Belarus Republic) presented some photos of the similar chimney-piece to Children Picture Gallery. Both chimney-pieces are practically identical except one detail – on Loshitsa’s chimney-piece there is a kind of a bouquet of flowers instead of a semi-figure of a knight.

 
The chimney-piece of the Klodt's Mansion
 

During the distressing XX century the mansion belonged to different owners. After the nationalization process of 1919 it became a living building: the first floor was divided into some bedsits and the mezzanine floor was occupied by the family of a big building engineer. In 1930s a famous military leader moved there. Some old citizens remember the soldiers guarding the house all day long. There is no exact information about the name of this owner, but some say it was P. Diybenko (1889-1938) – the Commander in Chief of Privolzhsky Military Region. During the Second World War the mansion became the residence of Afghan Consulship. After the war till the middle 1980s there was a preprimary school and finally the building was given to a children art school.

teklodt.jpg (13172 bytes) daught.jpg (13909 bytes)
Fragment of the exposition "100 years of the Klodt's mansion" The descendants of K. A. Klodt
 

So in 1990 half-ruined mansion became the building of Samara Municipal Children Picture Gallery. The mansion has been under reconstruction for five years. Repair and reconstruction company «Samtores», Finish company «Keskus-Sato» and company «Smena» took part in this process with the active participation of the head of the gallery N. Ievleva and the architects D. Nosov and A. Duchitsky. Reconstruction was financed by the city administration. As the result of the incredible efforts the architectural monument of the end of ХIХ century was completely reconstructed. Besides, a small building of the art school was constructed on the basement of the former cartwright.

     The restorers reconstructed the various stucco molding of all the ceilings, cleaned tiling of four Holland stoves and remade the unique identical pine-wood door, handles and window fasteners which the Te-Claudts had. The only original item of their interior – the large mirror made of Venetian glass in the ancient frame – was set on its place in the living-room.

    Nowadays all the rooms of the old mansion turned into museum halls. Children paintings became a harmonic part of solemn but elegant and cozy interior. The doors of the former dining-room lead into a «winter garden» which used to be Te-Claudts’ terrace, full of greenery and flowers all the year round. If you look out of the windows you can see a bronze statue of a boy which was made by Samara sculptor V. Kilin who remade the original model from the old photos. Unfortunately the specialists were not able to restore the old piano «Bekker» produced in the end of XIX century, so in 1995 it was replaced by the similar one.

      Many ancient items are collected and stored in Children Picture Gallery. These exhibits represent the life of the people that lived here hundred years ago. Some of their things are exhibited in the former smoking room that represents the cultural lifestyle of the end of XIX and the beginning of the XX century. Here you can find the photos of the previous owners – Ivan Claudt and his wife as well as the picture of the architect Scherbachev. Besides, there you can see some curtains and fabric-covered furniture with Venetian chairs that you could find practically in every house of old Samara. There are also such exhibits as a reed organ, a musical cabinet, a gramophone, a stereoscope, as well as old books and photos that make you feel the atmosphere of that time with its deliberateness and attentiveness to the details.

 
"Mirror Hall" -
the Klodts drawing-room
"A Smokers' room "
(exposition of old household activities)
Ladder to the 1-st floor